My current song obsession… I can’t stop, it makes me want to jump around and eat chocolate and go sailing at the same time!
Friday the… oh whatever…
Busy workday = not enough time to write my blog. I apologize for this. but here is the breakdown anyway.
Oh! and Happy Friday the 13th I wish everyone gets lucky tonight!
- Best freaking thing to do this weekend!! Click on the image for the facebook event. Honestly, three amazing bands for the cost of nothing? You must check this show out. Also, ArtOfficial rocks and they must be seen!
Prodigal Daughter Returns
I’m starting to feel like a neglectful mother that goes out partying for weeks and leaves her kids with her ever so loving and push-over of a mother. I completely bailed for three weeks, but I have good news to report.
For the first time, ever, I was able to actually disconnect from the internet. That’s right, we’re talking about a full week without a 3G connection and even the mention of Wi-Fi. I’m very proud of this accomplishment. (Although I’m fully aware that it doesn’t excuse three weeks worth of absence)
Anyway, let’s pretend we’re friends, and Happy New Year!! I wish Love for all of you, because that’s the only thing you really need. If people love you you can bum off their prosperity… Just sayin’
Here’s this weekend’s breakdown:
Okay, this will be quick, because there’s an office holiday party, and I havent’ had time to focus…
- DWNTWN Miami Concert Series featuring Jake Elwood & the Blues Brothers Review. Free concert, downtown, under the stars… Yay!!
- Jahfé is at Jazid. Best band to see at Jazid, hands down. Well maybe LPJ too… but that’s besides the point. There’s nothing better than jamming to the sweet reggae sounds being made from Jahfe at Jazid. $10 cover and good luck parking.
- Spam All Stars at Pax. I’m still depressed that Pax is charging a cover… But Spam will certainly rock, so if you’re looking for DJ Le Spam and his crew, this is the place to be. (
- Oigo at Tobacco Road. This is a new band, I do not know them. However they are fronted by Adrian from Suénalo, and we all know they rock. So this might actually be pretty ballin… $5 cover
- Jacob’s Ladder, Radio Boxer & Arboles Libres at The Stage. Radio Boxer and Arboles Libres, I can honestly say I’m a fan of. Tonight you get the bonus of Jacob’s ladder, which definitely sweetens the deal. I’m assuming cover is around $10.
- Dodge Miami Latin Music Half Marathon!! This event spans Sat-Sun and it features ArtOfficial and Suenalo, so definitely check it out.
- ArtOfficial at Jazid. This is the one thing I want to do this weekend. I can’t get enough of how awesome this band is and I’m sure the close quarters of Jazid will definitely make the experience even more awesome. I don’t have a password today… sorry but it’s only $10, so just go!
Shegó mi cumple!
I know, I know, I bailed on this blog for two weeks, which is incredibly shitty of me. I don’t really feel bad though… I’ve been having fun. But I’m back, because it’s my birthday weekend and because it’s BASEL TIME!!!
Today I will be doing a breakdown of where the local bands will be playing, because there are a ton of bands coming in from out of town, and to be honest I haven’t had time to really researched them all… So here you have it:
- Elastic Bond at Pax. A little birdie told me that Pax charges cover now, this has never happened to me, but the bird is actually very reliable, so there may be a $10 cover. Still… Sophie’s sweet, sweet voice (she’s the lead singer of EB) is worth much more, so I suggest you go. Also, they will be releasing the video to “Frecuencia Natural,” which is one of my favorite songs.
- Bachaco at Jazid. These little cats are actually pretty good. Has the music goodness gotten to their heads?! Totally, but they’re still good to drink and dance to. $10 cover and well wishes on parking.
- Conjunto Progreso at Tobacco Road. When all else fails you can always trust that Tobacco Road will be awesome and only $5.
- Moby at Bardot. Okay, I cheated, he’s not local… but everyone knows Moby!! If you’re a fan you already got tickets (they were like $40), if not this is the link to buy them.
- Suenalo at Jazid. Okay, I had forgotten how awesome this band is, and then Spotify threw them into my face again. I haven’t seen them in a while, but I’m sure they are still ridiculously fun to watch. Cover is $10, have fun in your parking search
- Locos Por Juana at Pax. Sadly now there is a cover (my guess is $10) but!! There will be live art (thank you Art Basel) along with the goodness that is LPJ, so please go. I can’t wait!!
- Tribute to Hector Lavoe (by Timba Swing) at Tobacco Road. Hector Lavoe was an fantastically talented Salsa singer in the 70s, but I mean this guy was incredible. Sadly because of AIDS complications he passed away in the early 90s. I never got to see him, but his music lived on through my family and I’ve learned to love him. I can honestly say I’ve gone to at least 10 tributes to him. I’m not sure how this one will be, but if El Cantante’s spirit is there, I’m sure it will be great. Cover is only $5
There you have it. There are also a ton of gallery openings because of Art Basel, and you should go to all of those too… I will be there. And if you catch me (blue stripes in my hair should give it away), wish me a happy birthday and give me a hug. I love hugs…
Un millón de cosas!!
Honestly, it feels like crazy busyness hasn’t stopped… So again I don’t have time to think of something clever and instead I’m going straight to business.
- It’s that time of the month… (not that one!!!) where the Miami DDA brings you a free happy hour concert that is a good enough reason to ask your boss to leave early on a Friday… Head on over to the Tina Hills Pavillion at the Bayfront Park and rock out to Kaki King (think August Rush, you will get it once you see her perform) and Million Young. Click here to see the facebook event.
- Rola Music Fest at Bayfront Park… Okay I haven’t written about this before because I’m on the fence about it. I love music festivals, but I’m not sure having one right before thanksgiving is such a good idea. The price is actually relatively cheap for a full weekend ($90) and you do get to see Major Latin Acts (including the salsa master Oscar D’ Leon, Singer-songwriter Julieta Venegas, and the unique Jarabe De Palo) but I’m not sure that I want to spend $90 so close to the holidays… Just sayin… Anyway, one day passes are $40. Today the theme is Salsa & Merengue. Click here for more details about the line up.
- Tobacco Road’s 99th Anniversary party. The main act is Mayday, so you know this is going to be a good party… Cover is only $10 but if you’re a veteran you get the hookup for wearing your uniform. Don’t forget happy hr starts at 6 pm there will be $.99 drinks. Yep, that is less than one measly dollar (beware, this ends at 7:39pm). So go and celebrate the oldest bar in Miami or the fact that it’s 11/11/11 or whatever, it’s Miami you don’t need an excuse to party.
- Jahfe is at Jazid. Usual $10 cover, I’m sure you won’t have to pay it if you get there early enough (like before midnight). Go and enjoy the goodness of their reggae sounds.
- The Stage Anniversary Party. Did you see how there are a bunch of festivals and anniversaries this weekend?? Yea, I caught that too. Well in this case it’s their first anniversary, so it’s still special because they’re in the honeymoon stage. In this case this celebration is going on the whole weekend. Tonight they have ArtOffcial again, which may sound repetitive but the band is melt your face off good so I’m sure you will want to see them again. Click here for more details about the line up and how to get tix. (The whole weekend is only $30)
- Rola Music Fest at Bayfront Park continues. The band to see today is Jarabe De Palo, I promise you will love it, even if you don’t understand him. Click here for more details about the line up.
- Spam All Stars is at Jazid. Usual $10 cover, but you can try the password “Cold Shot” before midnight. Well wishes in your parking search!
- The Stage Anniversary Party Fest thingie goes on with Bright Light Social Hour, who is visiting from Texas. I’ve already told you they rock, so if you have never seen them, please go. Click here to see who else is playing and to see how to get tickets in advance.
- Rola Music Fest at Bayfront Park. It’s all about Julieta Venegas, this girl can rock the accordion, the guitar, the piano, and i don’t even know what else… Click here for more details about the line up.
- Finale of The Stage’s anniversary fest. The highlight of today is Big Brass Juke… mmm… blues… Click here to see who is else playing and to see how to get tickets in advance.
Crazy family stuff going on… Too busy to post… But! Here’s what I got off the top of my head:
- ArtOfficial at The Stage. This is a CD release party, which means you get to feel extra special and say you were there when their “Vitamins & Minerals” album dropped! Plus if for $10 you get an album and entry to the venue!! Please go!!! This band will blow your mind and I love them!
- Locos Por Juana at Pax. Fundraiser for La Fundacion Genesis, which helps homeless and handicapped children. For once there is a charge of $10 at Pax, but it goes to a good cause and you get to see the most amazing band. It is most definitely worth it!
- Palo at Hoy Como Ayer. For a little nostalgia, hit up Hoy Como Ayer, iu wil fil like a tru Cuban! Cover is $10 and you get a free Mojito
- Xperimento at The Stage. Feel like dancing some reggae cumbia?? I always do, so I’m thinking this is a good thing for you tonight.
- Afro Kumbe at Pax. Do you like electro cumbia goodness but lack funds? Then worry no more. This is your place to be, no cover!
- Suenalo at Jazid. This weekend I recommend you try the password “Cold Shot” before midnight. If it doesn’t work, then who cares? Suenalo still rocks and it’s only $10.
I did it!
This is Halloween…
Have you seen this?
Okay, that’s my contribution to this themed post. I’m mostly sure that all Sat. night parties are costume, so try and dress up, don’t be lame!
- Conjunto Progreso at Pax. No cover, so go and enjoy being Cuban, I believe it’s a themed party, don’t go near that place without a Guayabera!!
- Xperimento at Jazid. $10 cover & many good wishes on your parking search.
- ArtOfficial & Mayday at Eve. Cover is $10 but ArtOfficial always rocks it so it will be fantastically awesome. Go and enjoy!
- Conjunto Progreso, Suenalo & Spam All Stars at The Stage. The ticket is a little pricey, for bands you can generally see for much less. But it is a Halloween party so that means that there are perks… like climbing into a coffin and a costume contest. If you think it’s worth the $25 (presale)/$35 at the door, I think you should go! You can get tix here.
- Locos Por Juana at Jazid. Ush price of $10 (yep I just said Ush) and I hope you find an awesome spot to park in so that you don’t feel bad about walking long distances with your costume!